Monday, December 26, 2016

Dev Blog- Sea Trading Game. Ship Needs re-vamp, slight performance increases

This what a somewhat slow week, but I did at least put in a first blush attempt at improving ship needs. I also did a few graphical and other processor improvements.

Let's start with the pretties! I tweaked my display slightly, after playing Civilization I re-thought somewhat how the graphics should look. I'm still not finished, I have some very definite ideas of how to improve the texture considerably, but I wanted to play with it without committing to anything for the moment. Here's what I ended up with!

I also discovered Unity Best Practices, and did a fair bit of implementing some of those, which I believe improved my speed somewhat, especially a few of my problem cases.

The big effort was on re-vamping ship needs. I'm now pleased to report that I have a system in place that will completely manage ship needs that is configured via an XML file, as are most things in my game! It's still a bit of a work in process, mostly in that I suspect needs will come from multiple sources (Cargo, Crew, Ship Model, and to a lesser extend the scenario file (I might turn off needs for tutorial purposes, for instance), but overall it's starting to come along.

Well, that's all for this week. By the end of the year I hope to have added Cargo needs for the ship to properly manage, which will include feeding the livestock, for instance. Until next time!

If you haven't yet, feel free to like me on Facebook, join my Google Group, subscribe to my Sub Reddit, or follow me on Twitter, where you are likely to get frequent updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment